Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ferries from Dubrovnik

Can any one tell me what the JARDOLINJI ferries are like please. I will be using them to travel from Dubrovnik to Split, and then an over night service from Split to Ancona. We have booked a 2 berth cabin with no bathroom and i was just wondering what the facilities are like if you do not have your own bathroom. Do you have to share with many others? I have heard mixed reviews about the ferry service and so am a little concerned. I am also unsure on where about i would need to get the ferry from in Dubrovnik and Split. Any help would be greatly appreciated.











Thank you






|||



I have always found all the Jadrolinija ferries to be very good, but I%26#39;ve never spent the night on one. I have spent a whole day from Durbovnik to Split though and countless others. The ferry port in Dubrovnik is at Gruz, not part of the old city but it is very accessible and very obvious once there, next door to the bus station. The ferry port in Split is in the heart of the city right by the Riva, the bus station and the rail station. You cannot miss it.




|||



Thank you for your reply its a great help. What are the facilities like on the ferry i.e toilets, eating areas? Would you recommend buying food before hand or is it quite resonably priced onboard?





Thank you




|||



Hi



We travelled over night from Dubrovnik to Rijeka.



The ferry is very good on the whole, we had a cabin for the 4 of us with private facilities. I must say that through the night the cabin was like a sauna, I ended up taking my bedding on deck. I suspect it will be more confortable with only 2 people in a cabin.





I would advise that you do not prebook your meal, we did and it was quite an interesting experience.No choice but a set meal consisting of:



soup - beef consomme with noodles



spaghetti bolognaise



beef scollop with cabbage and potato (nicer than it sounds)



melba toast and cheese



desert





You can easily eat in the restaurant without pre booking and you can then choose your meal and spend less than the prebooked set meal.You can order what you like from the menu which was reasonable, we wished we had done that although the food we had was %26#39;nice%26#39;.





facilities - as I said we did book a cabin with bathroom and shower however ended up using the communal facilities down the corridor which was clean and relatively spacious with loo, wash hand basin and shower cubicle - I would wear flip flops in the shower though. These facilities can only be used by those booking a cabin.





You will see lots of people spending the night in the communal areas, stairways, lobbies ect.





We had a sandwich in the cafe for lunch - not terribly inspiring - I would take a picnic unless you wish to have a meal in the restaurant, spag bol was pretty cheap, probably less than we paid for a sandwich.





The trip from Dubrovnik to Split is very pleasant, we stayed on deck all day until we arrived in split then got showered and dressed for dinner.





There are areas inside that are reserved for cabin passengers only, nice seating with big windows.





I am sure that you will enjoy the experience, the ferry is very large with plenty of comfortable indoor and outdoor seating.





apart from the indoor restaurant and cafe there are a couple of cafe/bars on deck.





These ferries are well run and large, the journey we had was smooth - no sea sickness.





I hope this helps.





Best regards




|||



We took some food on with us, which was just our preference, but the coffee was good and the bar was open! I don%26#39;t remember the toilets so they must have been fine...




|||



I am not a fan of toilette facilities on the ferries, especially not in the high season.I%26#39;d rather skip shower and for the rest I try not to touch anything if possible. Sometimes, it happens that it is very clean.



I like the breakfast on the ferry RI-DU, you can choose whatever you like and it is included in the price of the cabin. The food in restaurant is OK, the drinks at the bars more expensive then on the coast.



Many passengers bring the complete meals and drinks with them.



Don%26#39;t know about ST-Ancona.




|||



Thank you to everyone for your replies, you have put my mind at ease and i am now looking forward to my trip next week.





Thank you again for all your help

No comments:

Post a Comment