Tuesday, March 27, 2012

End October / Early November

We are two 30 year old females and though we do appreciate and enjoy the culture and exlporing during the day, we also want to have many options on food and places to go out at night. We will also be on somewhat of a budget.



Right now we are throwing around Hungary, Czech Republic and Croatia over a month. May only do 2, may do all 3.



I have always wanted to travel to Croatia, mainly Dubrovnik and Hvar. Seeing as it is coming into the cooler and rainy season I understand that many places may either be closed down or not as exciting as the high season, though I would say also not as expensive. It also won%26#39;t be beach time which I quite enjoy.





Would we be best to pass on Croatia on this trip or is there still a good time to be had?




|||



End of October/early November is still a good time to visit Dubrovnik, Split, Zagreb, and anywhere in Northern Croatia. However, most of the islands will be empty and nearly shut down for the season. The benefit to visiting at this time is that you%26#39;ll have the place almost to yourselves! No crowds or cruise ships.




|||



So sorry to give you the bad news, cruise ships will continue to be arriving in Dubrovnik in October and a few in November. I don%26#39;t really feel that the prices are lower during this time of year at all. The town was filled with tourists today and our weather has been fantastic this year. Expecting a big rain storm on Friday and it could wash some of the land guests out of town sooner.



The majority of the outdoor restaurants will close down on 01 November and only a few are open all winter. The museums and other sites are open all year but will shorter hours. And I%26#39;ve not seen the admission prices change at all during the year.





You might have a great trip, it all depends on the weather. But missing out on the islands would be tragic. Not being able to view Dubrovnik from the city walls due to high winds or rain is missing some of the best views of our wonderful town.





In my humble opinion Croatia cannot be %26quot;done%26quot; in just one visit. And once you seen our fantastic Plitivice Lakes, Dalmatian Coast and the Istrian peninsula - you will want to return over and over.







Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik




|||



Hello, just thought id tag onto this as im going on a cruise (hmmm) here the first week in November. I was just wondering if anybody knows what the weather may be like. Shall i bother packing any shorts and take suncream?





Thank you




|||





Here%26#39;s a link that can help you in your decision with sun cream



www.generalturist.com/Croatia/Weather.aspx…





http://meteo.hr/index_en.php




|||



Got back from Dubrovnik yesterday. Too big for short exploration. For me it was megga expensive £40 for 2 steaks plus extras and £10 for small beer and a wine. Value or Cheap does not exist here. Allow £100 a day food and enterainment, Im not joking



and I didnt go mad with nothing. I spent £1000 for 2 of us in 5 days.





The Old Town closes fairly soon with just cruise ships and a few shops, I understand.







I did Budapest and then got the train to Vienna which was much more interesting, albeit a couple of years ago.





Prague is my favourite of all especially close to xmas for atmosphere and culture in general It wont be as cheap now, but the food was very good quality and plenty of sight seeing museums etc. Wensleslas square is great. Only downside now to Prague is the hen/stag parties, hope you can avoid them. Otherwise make up yourself a double/triple trip. I did and it worked out good value. Hope it helps




|||



You cant get a boat from dubrovnik to hvar, it has to be split, so I was told last week




|||



I have to disagree with cmtjones regarding the prices. I am from Toronto and found the prices very comparable with what I would pay at home. I went to London for 4 days after 9 days in Dubrovnik, and THAT was expensive. L20 for 2 scones and 2 pots of tea!



There are many reasonable items one can eat and drink in Dubrovnik...no its not cheap but I didn%26#39;t find it outrageous either.




|||



Eating and drinking in Dubrovnik is not overly expensive for guests. I do know that when I order steak in the US I expect to pay more. However it is such a shame to eat meat when we are on the Adriatic sea and the specialities are seafood. Croatia is not a third world country and we are not inexpensive. Our restaurant prices are not as high as those in London, Paris or Rome. If one is expecting cheap here, please go someplace else. Croatia is a classic destination with many incredible sights to enjoy. Come and enjoy and don%26#39;t complain about prices, we deserve to make a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment