Friday, March 30, 2012

Trip report - single female travelling alone

I was in Dubrovnik for 9 days from Sept 6 to 15 and had a wonderful vacation. I rented a very nice apartment in the old city, which was a wonderful location as I would be in and out of my apartment a few times a day.



A lot of the same restaurants get recommended on this site, but I tried some new ones that I would like to recommend:



Posat - just above the Pile gate - very nice terrace, excellent service and great grilled fish. I had a whole fish, appetizer, 1/2 ltr of wine and it turned out to be about $65 CDN.



Also recommend Wanda%26#39;s - it is in the old city on the street that runs parallel to the Stradun just up the stairs - had saffron pasta with clams and lobster which was outstanding.



The pasta at Barracuda was delicious, nicely cooked al dente, and they do a great breakfast too. I found a lot of the restaurants had %26quot;omlettes%26quot; that were usually overcooked, but at Barracuda I could get a couple of eggs nicely cooked and some bacon...standard fare.



Mea Culpa is the place to go for pizza, but the slices at Oliva are very good too.



Off the Stradun on the side streets there is a bakery called Niko and also a little bake shop at the top of the Ploce gate that both had great burek (pastry layered with meat). I made that my breakfast or afternoon snack several times.



As for things to do, my favs were:



swimming at Lokrum - take the ferry from the old harbour, have a look around, but the swimming is best on the bay side where the ferry docks; nice big rocks and fresh water showers to rinse off the salt



Lapad - took the bus (catch them all around the top of the Pile gate) to the post office at Lapad, get off and walk down to the water, passing by lots of lovely cafes etc.; then at the water, head to the right and keep walking; the path takes you along the coastline and you will encounter some gorgeous hotels especially Hotel Neptune - stop and have a cocktail at the bar



Dubrovnik Palace - I only wish I could afford to stay here but what a gorgeous place to visit and have a drink, the only place I found with sushi



Cafe Buza - amazing to see this cafe on out outside of the walls



Gruz - I walked back and forth to the new harbour - there is a nice market including fish (if you get there early enough) and the walk is really beautiful.



Very easy to get around, be sure to get outside of the old city - there is lots to see in Lapad, Babin Kuk, Gruz, etc.



As for travelling alone, I felt entirely safe even at night. No issues, always lots of friendly people around. Place is very clean - all in all a tremendous place to go for a holiday. All my friends are amazed at the photos.......



Good luck to all who decide to go.




|||



Nice report, Tania,very useful for future travelers to DU.




|||



Excellent trip report. I will be visiting Dubrovnik next June and your report was a great help. Thanks for sharing.




|||



Off the Stradun on the side streets there is a bakery called Niko and also a little bake shop at the top of the Ploce gate that both had great burek (pastry layered with meat). I made that my breakfast or afternoon snack several times.



------------------



yeah we went here many times as it was just around the corner from out apartment. great cakes and pastry




|||



I was also in Dubrovnik travelling alone. I agree, I always felt safe.





I stayed at the Jinx and Jinxy right outside of the old town. It is is fantastic location with even more fantastic views. It is about a 5 minute walk to Old town and you can reach several beaches within 5 to 15 min depending on which beach you want to go to. The room was clean, but I cant say enough about the patio and view you have from the apartment of the old city. I would definetely go back. I think staying close to the wall is worth it while in Dubrovnik, you cant beat the atmosphere in the old city at night. If you want to walk to Lapad, it took me 45 minutes from the Jinx and Jinxy, you can also take a local bus there so it isn%26#39;t a problem navigating the city .





I went kayaking off in the Elephite islands. That was definitely a highlight of the trip. I stayed on the islands of Lokrum, and I agree with Tania, this is the best place to swim.




|||



A great report and glad that you enjoyed Dubrovnik !





We were there at the same time, although we based ourselves at Cavtat, and I have wrote a feedback report on the Trip Advisor page for cavtat:





tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g303804-i10581-C…





For us, Dubrovnik was magical and had a great feel and atmosphere, and like you say felt very safe and friendly.





We went to Gruz and walked around the market there - it was a really good walk back to the old town, and like you say, beautiful !





Cheers




|||



Wonderful report Tania:-) Also travelled solo and although was only there for 4 days (Sept 4-7) specifically for a Wedding..I, too, couldn%26#39;t have felt safer in this incredible City! Thanks and Enjoy!




|||



Can you pls advise the details of the apartment you stayed in? Thanks




|||



Hi,



Here is the link to the apt where I stayed.



home page: www.dubrovnik-online.com/apartment_mira/



E-mail: apartmentmira@gmail.com





The location was perfect for me, room was very clean, very simple, comfortable bed, good bathroom with great shower and lots of hot water. It did not have a TV which was okay with me. There was a small radio in the corner, but I never used it, - stuck with my IPOD. No clock radio/alarm. Had air conditioning but I did not use.



There was a noise factor - the coffee shop below gets very crowded at night with young people till sometimes 2 am, and it is right under the bedroom window. I am a light sleeper and at first was quite upset, but I got some good earplugs and between those and my IPOD (and some wine) managed just fine. Also you ear everything that goes on in the early morning hours in the city - it is all stone, so noise echos. So for example, when the bars are removing their recycling in the morning it can be noisy. That being said, for the price I received, I was more than willing to put up with a bit of noise. The landlady%26#39;s sister Esna worked a stand nearby and was around for any questions I had. She gave me some great suggestions of where to go and they always worked out wonderfully (e.g. take the bus to Lapad). She also did my laundry for a small, reasonable fee.



When are you planning to visit there?



Tania




|||



Thaks so much Tania. We are a family of 4 from Perth, Australia and will be there in July 10. Anymore insights or tips from your trip would be greatly appreictaed.



We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartmet up to US 150 -200 a night. Our plans at this point are to spend 3-4 dys in Istria and then head to Dubrovnik from which point we hope to do some sailing. Cheers




|||



Check out this place then:



http://www.dubrovnik-edi.com/index.html



The apt was right at the top of Pile Gate just outside the old city. Very good location - I did not personally see the units, but met the owner Edi.



July will be very busy and probably quite hot. If you decide to walk the walls of the old city, do it first thing in the morning (opens at 8 am). The view is outstanding.



Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment