Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Road Trip

A friend and I are thinking of flying into Dubrovnik and after spending a day or two there, going on a road trip. This would be in mid-November, and we will have around 2 weeks. We are initially thinking of following the coast south into Albania and then heading inland to circle back inland, ending up back in Dubrovnik. Some questions....





1) Safety--two females alone. Any concerns?



2) What are driving distances down the coast? Is there a good online mapping service for this region? Google doesn%26#39;t seem to want to give me distances.



3) What will the weather be like? Will we risk snow inland?



4) Any suggested itineraries?



5) We speak no Balkan languages, but I do speak English, Spanish, and French. Will that be a major issue, especially outside of the city?





Any help is welcome! Thank you!




|||



Hi, I can only speak to Dubrovnik but will tell you I travelled there as a single female and always felt safe. English was not an issue there (its all I speak...)



As for things to do, I think swimming will be out of the question, but you can easily spend a day just exploring the old city, up and down all of the little streets, walking the walls weather permitting. You could also take the city bus to Lapad (15 mins) and walk around that area, visit the various hotels in the area (Dubrovnik Palace and Hotel Neptune are gorgeous).



Good luck and have fun.




|||



2 weeks is very good time to see a lot.



visit Cavtat http://allindubrovnik.com/Cavtat/cavtat.html and allindubrovnik.com/Trsteno/trsteno.html Trsteno.



Also visit Mostar and Montenegro, because is near, only few hours driving.





have a nice time there




|||



Why not just take the road trip up the Croatian coast and back? Not sure why Albania, but I would much rather stay in Croatia and maybe even get to Slovenia after going up the coast.




|||



By the way... viamichelin.com is an ok site to use for distances and routes.




|||



Some people will tell you that Albania is safe and others will tell you not to go there. I don%26#39;t know the answer to this, but there must be some issues there if so many people advise against travel there. For two women traveling alone, I%26#39;m just not sure. I guess it depends on how experienced you are in this type of travel and how well you can take care of yourselves.





For driving distances, I would add time to whatever online estimates you




|||



For driving distances I would add time to whatever online estimates you find. I have found this to be true in general in the Balkans and especially so along the Croatian and Montenegran coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment